Sunday, September 26, 2010

Made in China

So, thanks to my dear friend Carol, who gave me the thought, I have decided to limit my consumption of material that is made in China. However, I did pass up an awesome pair of boots from The Avenue because of it, but because my calves are really thick, I probably will have to buy them in order to have a pair of hot boots.
Understand that I haven't taken this lightly. It's something that I have been thinking about for quite a while. My reasons are:

1) Greed. From what I have heard from people who have real-estate there, many inhabitants are needing to work in factories instead of the villages that they used to sustain through means of agriculture, etc in order to make ends meet. And PLEASE spare me any argument that this greed doesn't pertain to us as American consumers-hence the person I know who has real-estate is American and has established condos for the factory workers which happen to take away farms that used to sustain the village.
2) Toxicity. The toxicity levels of paint is higher in China made stuff, Chinese soil is tainted and polluted due to all the factory pollution, which is also causing cancer in inhabitants.
3) Useless cheap stuff. Having taken a trip to San Francisco's Chinatown, I was floored to see all the useless, overbought stuff that some of the markets carried. It was all from China, and it was like walking into the dollar store. This wasn't stuff from China for purpose of traditional Chinese use such as religious or traditional cultural stuff. It was stuff that you'd see at, that's right, the Dollar store.
4) Overconsumption: We as Americans seem to overconsume, and a lot of that is by shopping in places that have cheap stuff. Did you know Nike has a Chinese factory? I have a tough time w/ that. Those Air Jordans are a little too much for being made there. And don't EVEN get me started about the "W" word, which is full of so much shit. Did you know that the life expectancy of W--mart stuff is 6 months? And what the f--k is W------ doing in China, anyway????? It is. GAHHHH!!

Writing this makes me frustrated.

Oh, and because just about 90% of it is made in China, my Twilight paraphernalia doesn't count. There's only so much sacrifice I can take right now.

JUST AN UPDATE: CONGRATULATIONS JIM AND CORA!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't remember you ever being so angry. Do you mind if I adopt a child from there before we ban all imports?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is important to know that it is not China's fault that everything is made there (well maybe a little because it is very cheap to make things in China) but we are the one that buy the stuff. I still buy made in China items but I also am making more of an effort to support local businesses and Americans trying to stay above the water in this tough economy.
    We hope that some of the things we buy for Christmas will be made in China but we will buy them in China so does that count :)

    ReplyDelete